Both offer useful email marketing automation and share many of the same functions, however, they each offer their own unique functions and come with pros and cons. Read on as we compare both ConvertKit and Ontraport.
EMAIL MARKETING AUTOMATION
ConvertKit calls its email automation, email courses. You can set up your email courses to deliver emails to your subscribers in intervals or at a specific time and date. ConvertKit comes with pre-made email courses. These pre-made email courses are set up with popular choices like purchasing or webinars.
You can easily create your very own email course from bottom up. Email courses are easy to arrange with drag and drop options. You can also set specific automation rules to redirect users based on how they interact with your site. No programming skills are necessary to operate ConvertKit.
Ontraport offers email automation and much more. Like ConvertKit, with Ontraport you can schedule email sequences and create segmentation rules.
In addition, you can communicate with subscribers via SMS, postcards and even scheduled phone calls. Ontraport’s internal email system, ONTRAmail, helps you create your own personalized email templates as well as send SMS and postcards to your subscribers.
Ontraport is the right choice for those looking for multiple ways to market to their subscribers.
WEBSITES, FORMS AND MEMBERSHIP AREAS
ConvertKit offers multiple landing pages and opt-in form templates. They offer some customization like background image and colors, however, you are limited to their templates. ConvertKit can be easily integrated into your already existing WordPress page through their WordPress plugin.
Ontraport also offers landing page and opt-in forms for WordPress web pages. In addition, Ontraport offers you the option to add membership areas using PilotPress on WordPress. Membership areas give you visibility to purchases, page views, and other performance metrics.
SALES AND CRM TOOLS
Unlike ConvertKit, Ontraport offers sales tools for your small business. These sales tools can easily be integrated with Paypal or Stripe. Free trials, subscriptions, and coupon codes are easily managed internally with Ontraport. A built-in CRM makes organizing and storing your contacts seamless and sales history is also easily accessible through Ontraport.
PROS & CONS OF CONVERTKIT
- Easy to use. No email marketing or web development experience is necessary to be successful with ConvertKit.
- Opt-in form and landing page creation and customization are built into the application.
- The ConvertKit WordPress plugin makes adding ConvertKit to your existing WordPress web page seamless.
- Organizing email courses is simple with ConvertKit’s drag and drop option.
- Create your own automation rules based on the behavior or your subscribers.
- Mobile and desktop ready. ConvertKit is aesthetically pleasing and easy to follow whether your subscriber is on a mobile device or desktop.
- Subscriptions, open rate, click rate and other key performance metrics are visible on a per-email basis. Meaning you can check the metrics on each individual email that you send.
- You only have four landing page options available to you. If you want to create your own unique design you will have to use a third party software or create your own landing page from scratch.
PROS & CONS OF ONTRAPORT
- SMS, phone call, and email mail automation are included in this all-inclusive marketing automation tool.
- ONTRAmail, Ontraport’s internal email system, makes creating custom email templates easy.
- High-volume senders can take advantage of custom IPs.
- Total revenue and click-through rates are available through Ontraport’s comprehensive result tracking.
- Ontraport’s easy to use landing page creator helps you create landing pages in a matter of minutes.
- Ontraport is WordPress ready and can be integrated with the help of PilotPress for plug-ins and landing pages.
- All your customer and lead interactions are kept together with Ontraport’s CRM tool.
- Financially speaking, Ontraport is on the higher end of the spectrum. All of the features covered come at a cost and may take longer to master than the ConvertKit application.
ConvertKit operates on a sliding scale base. Your first option is $29 per 1000 subscribers. As your subscriber list grows there is no need to manually upgrade. ConvertKit automatically upgrades you to the next level of pricing. While there is no free trial available, if you are not happy with ConvertKit, you have 30 days to request a full refund.
Ontraport sits on the higher end of the scale. Their most basic package starts at $79 and allows 1000 contacts, unlimited email and is restricted to one user. The next level, Pro, is $297 allows 25,000 contacts, 100,000 emails per months and is restricted to two users. The Pro plan also includes a two-hour free setup. The final plan is $597 for up to 100,000 contacts and allows up to 10 users. You have the option to add additional contacts for $99 per month for 100,000 contacts and additional emails for $99 per month for 100,000 emails.
ConvertKit and Ontraport are both great options for those looking to grow their business through automated email marketing. ConvertKit offers a simplistic, easy to use and navigate UI that is perfect for bloggers or those who need a quick solution for plug-ins and landing pages. Ontraport’s CRM tool and comprehensive automation tools are the best for the small or medium sized business.
If you are a blogger and solo entrepreneur looking to quickly integrate email automation, plug-ins, and landing pages into your website at a low cost, ConvertKit is the right choice for you.
If you are a medium sized business or digital marketing agency, looking for an all in one tool to manage your client outreach and keep your team all on the same page, Ontraport is your obvious choice.